Sunday, July 11, 2010

Netherlands-Spain World Cup Final. What To Watch For. Like All Spain Matches, It's All About Who Scores First

Unless this is your first time to this site, then you already know what the key to this game is. Like any game involving this Spain team, the key to the game is which team scores first. Given their superior possession game, if Spain score first I don't think they will lose to Netherlands or Brasil or anyone else. On the other hand, if Holland score first, then Spain will be in significant trouble. Remember that their only 2 losses in the last 3 years were to USA and Switzerland, and in both matches the opponent scores first and went on to win. Given that Holland are significantly more dangerous and talented than Switzerland or the USA, if they score first they have an excellent chance to lift the World Cup. If Spain score first, I think they will win the World Cup.

We've also been over this many times, but given that I picked Spain to win World Cup 2006, picked Spain to win Euro 2008, and picked Spain to win this World Cup, I was on the bandwagon before it was built. In fact, much like Mike Mulligan & His Steam Shovel, the bandwagon was built around me like the new town hall was built around them. As such, there is no backing down now, and the pick is Spain.

I ran the numbers on the world cup pool I'm currently leading- if Spain win I net $465, while if Holland win I'm guaranteed 2nd place which will net me $93. Pretty good either way for the $20 buy in, but obviously Spain is also the pick of my wallet.

Enjoy the match, for tomorrow there is no more world class soccer until the Premier League starts up on Saturday August 15 (Liverpool-Arsenal 1st day fixture!).

Vamos Espana!

No comments: