Friday, January 26, 2007

The 2007 Kanu Charity Challenge

Last year my New Year's resolution was to take all stairs two at a time to get my legs in better shape for skiing, and not only did it help with that, it became the first New Year's resolution in my life that lasted the entire year. All the rest have found their way to the dustbin by February 1.

This year my New Year's resolution is to donate 1% of my after tax income to charity. I was going to start with the Fugees, but considering that since the Times article ran on Sunday they have received over $50,000 in donations, and Universal Pictures just kicked in another $500,000, I think I am going to start with the International Rescue Committee, an organization that a friend of mine works for that aids refugees to get placed in the U.S. and aids them with the basics of starting a new life here - assistance finding housing, jobs, and other social services. The IRC places many of the refugees in Clarkston, GA. mentioned in the NYT article.

Anyhow, I hereby challenge each and every one of you to match me this year and donate 1% of your paycheck to various charities of your choosing. It can be anything - pick something you are interested in. Like soccer? Throw a little cash towards The Fugees, Soccer In The Streets, or even the (real) Kanu Heart Foundation. Hate soccer? Pick something that you like, and I guarantee that there is a charity related to it that is underfunded and could use your help. Really & truly no amount is too small.

It's not much money at all either; for most of us it is the equivalent of 1 happy hour of drinks with your buddies after work each month. Better yet, find an organization that you like and get involved yourself by volunteering.

To quote Orson Swindle in the days following Hurricane Katrina: "Give, bitches, give!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I also suggest DebRA. The charity that The HIT and Mrs. The Hit work so closely with.