Sunday, December 24, 2006

Catching Up

Been sick most of the week, and thus off the grid.

Last weekend, Kanu failed to score but his team got a result. Twice.

Arsenal 2-2 Portsmouth
.
Highlights & Goals

Once again Arsenal allow the visitors to score first. Allowing a goal in the last minute of the first half and then another in the 1st minute of the 2nd half was awful, but to their credit they did fight back to get a 2-2 draw, and had chances to win it at the end. I am a Wenger loyalist but I have to say that I think it was a big mistake not starting Adebayor since he was playing against his stated football idol, Kanu, and it is only logical that he would be inspired. In fact, Arsenal were pretty shit until Ade came on as a sub in the 56th minute, and shortly thereafter it was 2-2. He scored the first and helped create the 2nd, and clearly he was inspired. He only played 35 minutes and I can't think of him ever playing a better game for the Gunners. Oh well.

Red Stripes 4-1 Some Other Team.

The Stripes had to play a man (woman really) down, so it was 6 on 7, but they still handled their business in the quarterfinals. Kanu was fairly ineffective mainly based on a complete lack of sleep, but we did what we needed to do. On to the semifinals against a stacked Ernst & Young team on Jan 7; get past the sketchy auditors and it is likely Boutros Boutros Goalie in the final on the same day.

Spent the rest of the weekend with my visitors - my sister and soon to be 5 year old neice. Did some really fun touristy stuff on Saturday - cable cars, Ferry Building Farmers market, etc. Sunday we rocked the SF Zoo, which I must say is pretty badass. Got to see real live reindeer for the first time ever - good stuff.

Not much to speak of this week except earthquakes. After a year and a half of not feeling an earthquake in my apartment, I have felt 3 in the last 4 days. I did feel one at work last year, but the two we had earlier this year I didn't even feel at my place, as it is on bedrock, while friends who live in other areas on landfill had pictures fall down and whatnot. First Wednesday evening, then Friday evening, and again Saturday morning. 3.7, 3.7, 3.5, all in Berkeley on the Hayward Fault, which runs right under Cal's football stadium and right through campus. It is pretty trippy and difficult to describe, but basically what happens is the entire building sways about 2-4 inches and back again, all in a matter of about 2 seconds. Feels kind of like being in a ship at sea. By the time your brain realizes "holy shit, this is an earthquake!", it's all finished.

I was too sick yesterday to get out to the pub at 7 a.m., and apparently I missed quite a show, as Arsenal yet again conceded to the visiting team first, but this time came back to beat the shite out of Blackburn Rovers 6-2. Sounds like they played they played some serious joga bonito, looking forward to seeing the highlights.

I'm off to Sactown for the holiday.

Peace.

No comments: